Sunday, February 28, 2010

Every Nerd's Dream Girl

I realized the other day that my brother has trained me to become every nerd's dream girl. Ever since I was little my brother was always very eager to get me into the things he was into. The first major thing was the Star Wars Trilogy. I was very young and easily impressionable at the time thus the special effects and high-tech worlds won me over with little effort. It wasn't long before I became an expert on all things about Star Wars. I obtained all sorts of knowledge from meditation exercises that the Jedi use to get in touch with the Force (which I actually did imitate) to the death of Chewbacca long after the movies ended. Much of that knowledge has been forgotten (and not exactly missed) but I still fare as a strong teammate for Star Wars trivia games.

After the Star Wars craze died down my brother got me into a new growing fad: Dragonball Z. The intense martial arts mixed with aliens and flying discs of energy in cartoon drawings was all too easy of a transition from Star Wars. Regardless of the extremely slow moving story line, the silly Japanese humor, charisma of the main character, dynamic powers that seem to never reach a limit, and cliff hangers that repeated themselves for five straight episodes got my brother and I hooked like drugs. We had a set schedule in which once it was 5:30, everything was dropped in order to watch the new episode. We did everything from researching background stories to drawing the characters in order to learn the drawing style to even creating our own characters to be part of the storyline. However, not even the glories of Kamehamehas could entertain us for so long as the series dragged out. We stopped following once it reached the Buu series and we learned that Kid Buu blows up the earth. While my brother had one taste of the anime world and left it forever, Dragonball Z served as a large stepping stone that led me into the dark world of Anime and Manga in which I confess I still indulge in secretly.

Next came the Lord of the Rings trilogies. This was more of a challenge to convert me to since I was in fifth grade at the time of the first movie and found the Uruk-hai terrifying. I remember while in the theatre of the first movie, I asked my mom if we could leave in the middle because I was too afraid of the movie. We watched Jimmy Neutron instead (an idiotic and terrible decision on my part but I was an ignorant child back then). My brother never let me live that down thus I caved in and watched the rest of the movie in sixth grade. That's when my teeny-bopper hormones kicked in and I fell in love with the face of Legolas. I watched the second and third, religiously devoting myself in researching all I could on Legolas and the rest of Middle Earth. Of course I grew out of that craze once Orlando Bloom appeared in the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy without his gorgeous golden locks. But my love for the complex storyline and beautiful world of Middle Earth found a strong hold in my heart.

Then the xbox was released. I'd always enjoyed watching my brother play adventure games like Donkey Kong and Banjo Tooie on the N64 because it was like watching a movie to me. But then came Halo. It was the first game that we came across with co-op. Instead of watching, I could be part of the story as well. I was hooked immediately. The excitement of successfully scoping and sniping down opponents and freaking out when first encountering the flood was thrilling on levels I never imagined. Halo 2 and 3 only intensified my love for franchise as the story grew more fascinating, the weapons more powerful, and alien deaths more satisfying. The Halo era lasted the longest as a strong bond between me and my brother until a new set of games recently came out that have finally taken the Halos from their thrones.

Those games are the Left 4 Deads. I always hated zombie movies. They always depressed me. Thus when Sean came home with the first Left 4 Dead, I was not too keen on playing it with him. However, killing the same aliens with the same blue and orange blood could only satisfy for so long. As amazing as the Halo plot line was, the fun had finally become dull and I gave Left 4 Dead a try. Immediately, the fun in mindless shooting returned. All the controls were generally the same as Halo thus it was easy to pick up. I found shooting hordes of zombies not depressing as I thought it would be, but just as fun as shooting aliens. The only difference was that they didn't shoot back. There wasn't any plot but the game compensated for that in created unique characters with humorous dialogue every now and then. The first Left 4 Dead was fun, but I wasn't satisfied. I kept hearing about Left 4 Dead 2 with new characters, weapons, ammo, and special zombies. There was also more of a continuous story [not by much] instead of the individual and separate campaigns of the first game. Finally my brother and I bought a used copy and tried out the sequel. Automatically we were hooked. Not only were the characters even funnier but the range and power of the new guns was intoxicating. The new special zombies completely destroyed the systematic and unbeatable strategy of the first game, making the second game twice as challenging. Such a range of different types of weapons and explosives made killing zombies even more entertaining than before. Highly stressful and intense escape levels made our adrenal glands burst from excitement. To this day, my brother and I will play a campaign whenever we have time to spare.

I never realized the value of all this knowledge that Sean inspired in me until recently when I found more and more of my male friends having higher respect and regard for me because not only did I have knowledge in these things but that I actually enjoyed them too which apparently is unheard of in a girl. Lately I've been becoming more as one of the men, having discussions and even sometimes debates on Star Wars or Dragonball Z and planning gaming parties for Halo or L4D2 [all in which I'm the only girl that participates]. I must confess that I do enjoy all the attention. I've never really gotten into makeup and my sense of style depends more on my mood rather than motivation to physically attract guys. To be able to relate and participate in the areas that I actually enjoy with other people is a lot of fun. The fact that they happen to be all guys as well just makes it all the more fun since guys tend to be simpler and just enjoy what they do [of course this is a huge over generalization of both genders]. I love my girlfriends to death but I must admit, there are times in which I'd rather play 7.5 straight hours of Left4Dead 2 with Joe than watch Disney princess movies at a sleepover. It's just a man side I discovered that I have that I like to let out. One of my friends commented that I am the GA Tech guy's fantasy wife. As scary as that image is, I do find a compliment in that phrase. I like the thought that if I were to get a boyfriend it would be because we like playing hours of Halo together or have LOTR extended version movie marathons rather than trying to impress each other by dolling up for dinner and a romantic or scary movie.

However I'm getting ahead of myself. As much as I love my new bonds with my fellow brothers, the core reason for my interest in all these things has remained the same all these years: they are ways that I bond with my brother. Sean and I don't see eye to eye on many things nor are we the most compatible of siblings or best of friends. But we've always found some sort of common interest that serves as a bond that no one can break. As much as I love playing L4D with my guy friends, I'd give that time up any day to play it with my brother. I got into these things because of my brother and I love them because of my brother and through them I'm able to express my love for my brother. I may be every nerd's dream girl but I was my brother's sister first.

1 comment:

  1. sameeeeeee
    bout the videogames (cept i prefer the adventure ones and racing x])
    and...being the only girl playing them
    ...and..we need to versus our gaming skills
    :D

    ReplyDelete